Friday 3 October 2014

To the Market

Went to Jean Talon Market with my culinary class...
Felt like one of my kids going on a field trip!
The market was beautiful, rich in colours and flavours. 
Made me wonder why one would ever shop at a grocery store...
Toured the Premiere Moisson Bakery as well as the Hamel Cheese shop.





Mostly made me hungry.
The part that cemented me feeling like a child was the scavenger hunt at the end.
BUT I actually learnt things though...


  • Jerusalem artichoke and artichokes have nothing to do with each other.
  • A salsifie is root vegetable between a carrot and a celery.
  • We have fruits and vegetables from Mexico, Peru, Europe, Israel and India.
  • You can find GMO-free corn in the market
  • Mushrooms can be several hundred dollars per pound.
  • Hottest pepper in the world is the Ghost Chile from Africa, which we harvest here too.


      • It's cranberry season now.                           These are field cherries.



          • Peeled garlic can be stored in the fridge for long periods.


My classmates, Vanessa, Marion and I shared a delicious, fresh but fattening lunch.  We have 20+ years between us but it feels just right to hang with them.  Not sure, they would say the same for me, as I can be their mother ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment